Bikers Against Child Abuse make abuse victims feel safe
These tough bikers have a soft spot: aiding child-abuse victims. Anytime, anywhere, for as long as it takes the child to feel safe, these leather-clad guardians will stand tall and strong against the dark, and the fear, and those who seek to harm.
The 11-year-old girl hears the rumble of their motorcycles, rich and deep, long before she sees them. She chews her bottom lip, nervous.
They are coming for her.
The bikers roar into sight, a pack of them, long-haired and tattooed, with heavy boots and leather vests, and some riding double. They circle the usually quiet Gilbert cul-de-sac, and the noise pulls neighbors from behind slatted wood blinds and glossy front doors.
One biker stops at the mouth of the street, parks in the middle of the road and stands guard next to his motorcycle, arms crossed.
The rest back up to the curb in front of the girl’s house, almost in formation, parking side by side. There are 14 motorcycles in all, mostly black and shiny chrome. The bikers rev their engines again before shutting them down.
The sudden silence is deafening. The girl’s mother takes her hand.
The leader of this motorcycle club is a 55-year-old man who has a salt-and-pepper Fu Manchu and wears his hair down past his shoulders. He eases off his 2000 Harley Road King and approaches the little girl.
He is formidable, and intimidating, and he knows it. So he bends low in front of the little girl and puts out his hand, tanned and weathered from the sun and wind: “Hi, I’m Pipes.”
“Nice to meet you,” she says softly, her small hand disappearing in his.….
The unruly-looking mob in her driveway is there to help her feel safe again. They are members of the Arizona chapter of Bikers Against Child Abuse International, and they wear their motto on their black leather vests and T-shirts: “No child deserves to live in fear.”
I’ll admit - this made me tear up. I’d never heard of BACA before. Now I want to find the WA and OR chapters, and give them some money. I can’t give them a lot - I live hand-to-mouth - but they deserve my support. Surviving abuse is not - *not* - easy. These bikers have taken on a nearly-impossible task, struggling to make it a little easier. Amazing. Absolutely wonderful.
The bikers aren’t looking for trouble. They are there so the kids don’t feel so alone, or so powerless. Pipes recalls going to court with an 8-year-old boy, and how tiny he looked on the witness stand, his feet dangling a foot off the floor.
“It’s scary enough for an adult to go to court,” he says. “We’re not going to let one of our little wounded kids go alone.”
In court that day, the judge asked the boy, “Are you afraid?” No, the boy said.
Pipes says the judge seemed surprised, and asked, “Why not?”
The boy glanced at Pipes and the other bikers sitting in the front row, two more standing on each side of the courtroom door, and told the judge, “Because my friends are scarier than he is.”This is the most beautiful, awe-inspiring thing I’ve read in a long time. I wanna write a book about these guys, Jesus Christ. Where’s the blockbuster movie about these badasses?
Too awesome for words.
Well, this is pretty fantastic.
- secretdispositions reblogged this from procrastinationcelebration
- referencerambles reblogged this from toomanycornersinmymind
- softwiings likes this
- almosteverythingieversaid reblogged this from itastethedevilstears
- kandrakelsier likes this
- 17mjane likes this
- shutupandkeeptalking likes this
- paypale likes this
- periodicperspectives reblogged this from corneliusthewhite
- periodicperspectives likes this
- corneliusthewhite reblogged this from restlesslyaspiring
- gemmasnewblog reblogged this from teamheadcanon-deactivated
- therandomoliphaunt reblogged this from gothiccharmschool and added:
- therandomoliphaunt likes this
- lumetorm reblogged this from myowlismorehipsterthanyours
- myowlismorehipsterthanyours reblogged this from radbeforesad
- spacefaringunicorn likes this
- kcbalfour likes this
- thebravewitchposts reblogged this from prettyarbitrary
- so-ahhh likes this
- permagrump likes this
- twankiez reblogged this from littlegirl-xx
- twankiez likes this
- thespookshowbaby likes this
- xpunkrockninjax likes this
- yesrealitysux reblogged this from littlegirl-xx
- merlinbabe likes this
- littlegirl-xx reblogged this from evesdumb
- littlegirl-xx likes this
- evesdumb reblogged this from seth-and-stefon-meyers
- joyseeker56 reblogged this from jxvalentine and added:
- joyseeker56 likes this
- theresonanceofasmile reblogged this from philosophyjade
- wandering-californian reblogged this from beverlyhells
- babyhasmybones likes this
- beverlyhells reblogged this from doctorjohnlock
- formerpresidentbeyonce likes this
- a-fangirls-fandoms reblogged this from sam-i-am-sexy-and-i-know-it
- nickchrizzzy2 likes this
- tracicls reblogged this from goodstuffhappenedtoday
- letsbeawkwardtogether4everdarlin reblogged this from spirithallow
- thewendybirdhasreturned likes this
- awanderingprincess reblogged this from odetteofswanlake
- misanthropicmegara likes this
- ofcircusilksandtea reblogged this from thehuntsmanofstorybrookex
- thehuntsmanofstorybrookex reblogged this from odetteofswanlake
- odetteofswanlake reblogged this from doubledouble-herecomestrouble
- fishtwigz likes this
- frozenthoughtbox likes this
- toomanyducttapetoomanyrope reblogged this from raccoonmama